Sunday, June 28, 2015

Short Story on how I ended writing my first book

Hi I am Utakarsh Jayant and this is my story on how I ended up writing my first book. The first time it struck my mind to write the book was when I was 19 years old, second year in college, bright and charged up, all ready to pen down something. With not much thoughts in my mind, a vague idea, full of vigour and enthusiasm, I sat on my laptop, which co-incidentally even after 6 years I am still using, to start writing my first novel. I wrote and wrote, continuously, for two weeks and then the whole steam blew off, leaving me battered and bruised but not disillusioned. I couldn’t think of anything else to write after those two weeks. With time, I stopped working on it. I had lost all the zeal of the beginning. But the aspiration and passion wasn’t lost. I made a promise to myself to get published before I turn 25, how and when will I be able to achieve it, I didn’t know.
As time passed by, gradually the idea of writing the book went from the front to the back of my mind. It doesn’t mean that I had given hope to ever write, it was just that I needed the right time and inspiration to once again start writing. Meanwhile I would always talk to people to absorb their stories, observe things around me and try to experience new experience, making a note of various noteworthy incidents which I thought I could inculcate in my book.
The real chance to write the book came when I joined my office after graduating college. During the first few weeks, the honeymoon period, I would have trainings during the morning half and post lunch, I would sit idle, waste away my time. As a person I cannot sit idle, do nothing. I need to always, continuously do something productive. If I don’t do anything, something starts happening in my brain, a voice starts telling me to do something interesting, productive otherwise you will rot. Me, sitting idle, doing nothing was pinching me. Suddenly my life-long dream of writing became the top priority for me. From nowhere the idea of writing about real estate industry, keeping Dwarka and Gurgaon as inspiration, came in to my mind. I started writing, again. The whole plot wasn’t clear in mind, just certain incidents which I needed to highlight. From page 1, I went to the page 2 and so and on, at a frantic pace. Before I knew it, I had ended up writing 40 pages, the whole plot clear in my mind.
Doing any work without homework is like going to war without having shooting practice. While writing, I would always research, to bring interesting views and perspectives, add depth to characters and plot. For example to give a background story to one of my characters, I spent one whole night reading about 1965 India Pakistan war; reading blogs and Indian Army and Navy and Pakistan websites, to have a good understanding of the war. Another night I went through DDA websites to read about SEZ and the laws concerning it. Writing about Ram Leela and India v/s Pakistan 2003 cricket world cup final was fun. There is one real life real estate scam about which I studied thoroughly and have tried to include it in my book. What's the scam, well, I won't like to talk about it. Let it be a mystery for you, my dear readers :)
The most important juncture of during the writing process, which tested my patience level and made me realize how I determined I was, was when during Feb 2013, I had written 58,325 word, something about 147 pages. I added a simple yet crucial line, which was very important from the perspective of the plot. Writing that line didn’t make sense to the whole story written in previous pages. Unacceptable. Ghor Paap!  I couldn’t do away with that line, an important element. Hence I took the only option available to me at that time. Re-write. To actually write that line, to make it justifiable to the previous pages, I re-wrote the whole work, a good 4 months effort.
Two years I have taken to finish writing the book. It took my 6 months to find me a publisher who agreed to publish my work and another 3 months to sign the legal document. I feel immensely proud and happy. And being able to do so before I turn 25 is the icing on the cake.

Lastly before I finish this story, let me share another juicy tidbit. Throughout the time I was writing the book, I couldn’t come up with a name for the book. It was very difficult to put a name to my work. Finally, after regular pestering of my editor, publisher, family and friends, I was able to think of a name. How? I prepared a list of 9 possible names, made a Google poll and asked my friends to vote for the name they find best. Around 50 people voted. Chasing Illusion is the name of my book which ought to be in market by end of June 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment