Saturday, April 4, 2015

Eye Witness to a horrific accident - True account

Just a while back, I was walking back home, having bought eggs from the market. Walking, lost in my own world, I reached the busy intersection, in front of my society. Now the intersection in front of my society is a busy intersection. Seeing a minor accident, people hurling abuses, cars honking incessantly, others watching the show is not new for me, yet today I had a new experience. Around 8:35 PM, among the loud honking, I saw a huge crowd standing, encircling something on the footpath. Lots of bikes were parked near the footpath. I decided to take a closer look to see what was happening and see if I can offer any help. I entered the circle of people. At the centre, I saw a man sitting and another lying, shaking uncontrollably. There was a by-stander asking the sitting man for his family's contact number while others trying to think of ways to comfort the shaking man. Talks of drunk maniacs was doing the rounds. There was a man, dressed in white, looked in charge, was talking to someone, presumably to police I thought.
Just near, there was a concrete white wall, of height close to my knees, which had survived the banging of a red Maruti 800. The front passenger seat of the Maruti 800 was gone, due to the door bent inside. The backseat was in an even worse shape. I didn’t know what to do, so I kept quiet, looked around, wondering where I can pitch in my help. Soon an auto was stopped and the two men were picked up, given support and helped inside the auto. I, for the first time, saw the two men clearly. The sitting man was bald, with blood slowly dripping from his forehead. He was dressed in an orange shirt. The other guy had stopped shaking. I went to help him get up. His dark coloured shirt was drenched, not with blood, thank god. After few more seconds, since him being heavy, I almost gave away. Suddenly some other guy came, took my place and helped him till the auto. Meanwhile, the owner of the auto was shouting, "I will not take these two to the hospital alone. Someone needs to come with me." As expected no one volunteered. A traffic police cop arrived and then was lost, under mysterious circumstances. Maybe he had gone to call his superiors to give a quick first-hand account of the dire situation or call for backup, who knows. The accident victims were seated comfortably inside the three wheeler auto, to my horror. I believe, three wheeler auto and bikes should be last options for transporting any accident victim.

I looked around, again. I saw a cute girl, dressed in pyjamas and a yellow top, talking quietly and quickly on the phone with a serious look on her face. Another call on 101 was being made, I assumed. The man in white brought one litre packaged drinking water and gave it to the victims. And in about 5 minutes, the auto was gone.

Then the real fun started. Police arrived, with 3 uniformed men. Within 2 seconds, the crowd halved, approx from 30 to 15. One uniformed guy went to Maruti Swift Dzire, which was parked few meters away, surprisingly not at all damaged, to note down the first hand information. I hadn’t noticed the Dzire at all. The other two uniformed men cleared the place and started asking for witnesses. No one dared to come forward. Soon all the bikes left. As a sign of fate or bad luck, CAT ambulance arrived. The navigator of the ambulance got out to ask for the victims. Upon hearing that the victims had already left, a sad look came on his face and the ambulance quietly left. I was amazed to see the sad look.

I stood there for two more minutes to see if I can do something else, apart from volunteering to be a
witness, which I wasn't. A well-built, handsome guy, looked very smart and educated, dressed in red, had started to walk away. He was walking ahead of me, briskly. I ran, caught up to him, introduced myself and asked him on what actually had happened. He, in an excited voice, explained the whole situation to me. Approx 35 minutes ago, a red Maruti had jumped the red light. From the opposite side, a Maruti Dzire was taking a right turn. Dzire rammed in to the red Maruti 800. Due to sheer force of impact, red Maruti dragged, skidded and hit the white wall. On the other hand, the Dzire slowly crawled towards the footpath. Its driver had already been taken to a hospital, by one of his family member, presumably. Upon seeing the accident, people came forward to help out. They pulled out the driver of the Maruti 800 very easily. The passenger seat traveller, the guy who was shaking, was the actual and tricky problem. For about 10 minutes, people struggled, tried every manoeuvre to move the door and finally took him out through the window, successfully. At this point, I was heartened to know people, in a crazy situation, had come out to help out in an accident. Who says Delhi people are cold hearted and leave people to die on the streets. If someone think so, please do re-read the above lines and you will change your opinion.

As he was explaining me the whole situation, few things became clear to me.
1. Police response to the accident, 30 minutes. Around 10-15 calls were made on 101.
2. CAT ambulance, phone number 102, response time was 35 minutes.
3. No one came forward to be a witness.

After getting the whole picture from my new friend, I turned back and started my way back to my house. The Maruti 800 was totally totalled. The windshield was broken in to pieces and was lying on the street. A scooty activah had almost skidded on those broken pieces. With one last look, I sighed, thanked that the authorities had arrived who I am sure will take care of the situation to the best of their abilities and made my way to my house. And then I noticed the most ironical/funny thing of the night.

A guy dressed in black, taking pictures. The quote on his shirt

 *"Shhhh......Desh so rha h!"*

No comments:

Post a Comment